If you are an Android user and thinking to change the DNS settings on your Android device, then this guide will help you in successfully changing the DNS settings on your Android devices.
What is DNS? DNS means ”Domain Name System”. When you visit a website, the DNS server translates the name of the website you want to visit to an IP address which will match that website. Thus, you will be directed to the right website where you want to go.
If you want to change DNS settings on your Android device (Smartphone/Tablet), you can either directly change it from the Android network connection settings or use a third-party DNS changer app for Android. Follow the methods given below to know how to change DNS address in Android 9 and Android 10.
1. How to Change DNS Settings in Android (without using App)
This setting is only applicable for Wi-Fi connection. If you are looking for a method for the mobile data (3G/4G), try using a DNS changer app as shown in the second method.
1. Unlock your Android device and Go to Settings.
2. In Settings Go to Wi-Fi.
3. Now long press on the Wi-Fi zone name that you use often, then choose Modify Network.
4. There will be several options available under this option, Scroll down and click on the Advance option.
5. Now tap on option DHCP and choose Static.
6. Now scroll down and find DNS 1 and DNS 2.
7. Here you can change and set any DNS server addresses you prefer.
If you want to use the Google DNS, you can enter 22.214.171.124 in DNS 1 and 126.96.36.199 in DNS 2.
8. Now tap on Save.
That’s all you need to do! You have now successfully changed the DNS settings for Wi-Fi connection. Now you can reconnect to Wi-Fi.
2. Change DNS Settings in Android Using Third-Party App (for both Mobile data and Wi-Fi)
If you are looking for the best DNS for Android, use a third-party DNS changer app for Android. DNS changer apps usually offer multiple free public DNS addresses including Google DNS. On Android 9 or Android 10 running smartphones, the DNS changer app can quickly change the DNS address.
Another advantage of using an app to change DNS is that you can change DNS for both mobile data and WiFi connections.
Now in order to use this method you need to install a third-party app. There are multiple apps available on Google Play Store, but for this guide we will be using DNS Changer.
1. Download the app DNS Changer
2. Once you have downloaded and installed the app from Google Play, Launch it.
3. Click on the option DNS Provider
5. There will be various DNS server addresses available like Google DNS, Open DNS, Yandex DNS, Level3 DNS, etc. you can choose any of them, or if you want to use different DNS server addresses you can enter it manually.
6. Once you have selected, tap on Start
That’s it, you have changed the DNS settings on your Android device for both mobile data and Wi-Fi connection.
How to Know Whether DNS Settings Change is Working or Not
Once you have successfully changed the DNS configuration on your Android phone, it is recommended to check the settings are applied. You can use a third-party service like OpenDNS to verify the DNS configuration.
1. Go to the DNS Settings of your Android device and set these DNS addresses 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206.
2. Now connect your Android device to the internet and Go to this website OpenDNS.com
3. Now if a message appears saying “Welcome to OpenDNS. Your internet is safer, faster and so on, then you have successfully changed the DNS settings on your Android device.
If the message appears saying something like “You aren’t using OpenDNS yet”, it means the DNS change is unsuccessful. You can try the above-given steps and most likely you should be successful in changing the DNS server settings on your Android device.
Now that you know how to change DNS in Android, what about the fastest DNS server for Android? Google’s public DNS address is one of the fastest DNS server addresses available for free.
If you want to use other open DNS servers, then you can use a tool called DNS Jumper. This tool only works on PC and Mac, but you can get all the available DNS servers address after running it on PC.
If you have any doubts or any other suggestions, do let us know in the comments.