The ” screen overlay detected ” error in Android is annoying when it happens and can be frustrating if it doesn’t go away. Some might consider throwing their phone off and buy a new one. But, you don’t have to do that just yet, as, in this post, I will show you various steps that you can take to fix the screen overlay detected error in Android.
And believe me, it actually works! So, let’s get started.
- 1 Fix 1: Disable Draw Over Apps in Settings
- 2 Fix 2: Install Button Unlocker
- 3 Fix 3: Install Alert Window Checker
While, I, really don’t want to make this post long by adding unnecessary words, but to be able to fix the screen overlay detected error, you need to know why it happens in the first place.
The error has affected almost every Android smartphone and tablet that runs on Android 5.0 Lollipop and above. This version of Android allows third-party apps to draw over other apps. Ever noticed the tiny Facebook messenger chat head that pops up every time you are using any other app? Now, if you install a new app that also requires similar rights, things might get ugly, and you get to see “Screen overlay detected error” on your screen.
This error can happen due to any app that requires permission to draw over apps, so, you may need to disable one or all the apps from the settings to fix the error. There are other ways as well, to fix the error which I have mentioned below.
- Google Pixel
- HTC, etc
Fix 1: Disable Draw Over Apps in Settings
The first fix is obvious. You need to revoke draw over other Apps permission given to a particular or all the apps. Here is how to do it.
Note: Some OEMs use custom ROMs on their smartphones, so, the settings may slightly change depending on the smartphone you are using.
For Samsung Users:
- Go to Settings.
- In Settings, go to Applications.
- Now in Applications, go to Application Manager.
- Tap on the option More.
- Select Apps that can Appear on Top.
For Xiaomi Smartphone Users:
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down and tap Installed Apps.
- Tap on Permissions option from the top right side.
- Tap Other Permissions.
- By default, you are in the Apps tab. Tap the Permissions tab on the top.
- Tap Display Pop-up Window.
Other users, follow these steps.
- Go to Settings.
- In Settings, scroll down and select Applications / Apps.
- Now tap on the Gear icon.
- Now you can select Draw Over Other Apps.
Once you have navigated to the draw over apps settings, you need to revoke the permission for some or all the apps.
Begin with disabling draw over app permission for any recently installed app. If you haven’t installed any app recently, then disable draw over apps permission for all the apps.
Next, enable Draw Over Apps permission for one app and see if the error is resolved. Do this for all the apps until the error pops up again.
Once the Screen overlay detected error is back, you know which app is causing the error. You can take further action by uninstalling the app or denying draw over app permission to that particular app.
Apps that are known to cause this error:
- Clean Master
- ES File Explorer
Fix 2: Install Button Unlocker
If the above steps don’t work, it is time to install another nifty little app Button Unlocker. The app unlocks the install button locked due to the screen overlay detected error.
1. Begin with downloading Button Unlocker from the Play Store.
2. Install the app and launch it.
3. Tap the little Slider on the top to Activate the app.
4. From the Accessibility Screen, tap “Install Button
Unlocker” and enable it.
5. Also, enable “Permit Drawing over other apps” option.
That’s it. Now try to open any app that was causing the screen overlay detected error on your Android device.
Fix 3: Install Alert Window Checker
The Alert Window Checker app is also made by the same people who developed Button Unlocker. The app checks if any installed app on your Android phone is using screen overlay permission. You can disable any app using draw over app permission right from the Alter Window Checker screen.
Download Alert Window Checker app from here. Install the app and run it to find the apps using Draw Over Apps permission.
Do let us know which app was causing the screen overlay detected error on your Phone and Tablet in the comments.
Other Articles You Might Also Like from Us:
- How to Connect Android Screen to Projector
- How to Cast Android Screen to PC without any app
- Use Multiple Instances of Any App Simultaneously