HotSpot Shield has been my go-to VPN for secure browsing mainly because Hotspot Shield comes in both free and elite premium version. The free version is suitable for the casual user with about 500MB daily free quota. Recently, HotSpot Shield encountered an error and started to display “Something went wrong. We are trying to fix the problem. This might take a few seconds” message. Even after waiting for a good number of minutes, the error did not go away.
Finally, after trying a couple of fixes, I fixed “Something went wrong” error in Hotspot shield. If you are facing this error as well, here is how to fix it.
Fix Hotspot Shield VPN “Something Went Wrong” Error
There are a couple of ways to fix this error in Hotspot shield. Depending on what is causing the error, one of the below-mentioned solutions should help you fix the problem. So, do try all of them one by one and don’t forget to tell us what has worked for you.
Fix 1. Restart Your PC
The error may occur if the PC ended hotspot shield process abruptly. Restarting your PC can fix something went wrong error in hotspot shield. So, click the Start button and select Restart.
The hotspot shield process will restart when the PC reboots. Try to run Hotspot shield and see if you can connect to the internet.
Fix 2. End “hshld” Process in Task Manager
If restarting the PC did not work, try to end and start the hshld process related to the hotspot shield app from the Task Manager. Here is how to do it.
1. Open the Task Manager. Right-click on Taskbar and select Task
2. Open the Process tab. Right-click on Hotspot Shield process if running and select End task.
3. Open the Services tab. Find “hshld” process. Right-click on it and select Stop.
4. Again right-click on “hshld” process and select Start. The service status column will show Running.
5. Launch Hotspot Shield from the Desktop and click Connect.
Fix 3. End cmw_srv.exe Process in Task Manager
If you are unable to locate the “hshld” process, follow these steps.
1. Open Task Manager from the Taskbar.
2. Open the Details tab.
3. Locate “cmw_ser.exe” process in the detail tab’s name column.
4. Select “cmw_ser.exe” and click End task button.
5. From the pop-up window, click the End Process button.
6. Close the task manager and launch Hotspot Shield and click connect.
Fix 4. Remove and Install Hotspot Shield
If the above solutions don’t work, try to uninstall hotspot shield. Once done, reinstall the latest version from the official website.
1. Open Control Panel (Right-click on Start and select Control Panel).
2. Click on Programs > Programs and Features.
3. Select Hotspot shield and click Uninstall.
4. Download the latest version of hotspot shield from the official website and install the app.
5. After the installation is complete, launch hotspot shield and click Connect.
The “Something went wrong error” in Hotspot Shield can be annoying, but you should be able to fix the error in hotspot shield by following one of the solutions in this guide. Do let us know which solution worked for you in the comments.
Other Articles You May Likes from us: