The bookmark bar in Google Chrome is a convenient way to access the websites that you visit frequently. If you want to disable the bookmark bar in Chrome, all you have to do is right-click on the Bookmarks bar and select Show Bookmarks Bar option.
However, there is an annoying problem with this step. Even if you disable the bookmark bar from settings, it will still appear on New Tab Page.
In this article, we walk you through a simple step by step guide to help you permanently hide the bookmarks bar in Google Chrome. There is a video explaining the same at the end if you prefer the visual medium.
Permanently Disable the Bookmark Bar in Google Chrome’s New Tab Page
1. Press the Windows key + R.
2. Type regedit and click OK.
3. In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following location:
4. Right-click on Chrome key, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
5. Rename the value as BoomarkBarEnabled.
6. Right-click on BookmarkBarEnabled value and select Modify.
7. Enter 0 in the Data field and click OK.
8. Now, if you relaunch Google Chrome and open a new tab, the bookmark bar is not visible.
Note that once you have disabled the bookmark bar from the Registry Editor, you won’t be able to enable or disable the bookmark bar from Chrome settings.
Enable Bookmark bar in Chrome
If you want to enable to the bookmark bar in Chrome, open the registry editor, and modify the BookmarkBarEnabled value. Instead of 0, enter 1 in the Data value field.
Show bookmarks bar on New Tab Page
If you want to hide the bookmarks, bar only on the active tabs but show it on the New Tab Page, here is how to do it.
1. Make sure you have deleted the BookmarkBarEnabled value from the registry editor.
2. Right-click on the bookmark bar and select Show Bookmark bar to show or hide the bookmarks.
3. You can also do it using the Ctrl + Shift + B to show/hide the bookmarks bar.
4. Alternatively, you can also do the same by going to Menu > Settings. Turn off Show bookmarks bar.
That’s it. By making a simple modification to your registry editor, you can easily disable the bookmarks bar in Google Chrome permanently from the New Tab page.
Although the browser has an option to show/hide bookmarks bar, it’s almost unusable due to the fact Chrome still shows the bookmarks bar on the New Tab page.
This can be an issue for the users who don’t want others to have access to their bookmarks bar when screen sharing or accessing the desktop.
Google has added some excellent features like Dark Mode in Chrome in the latest update. However, having the option to completely disable the bookmarks bar would save the users from the hassle of going extra miles and editing registry entries.